Our services at AA Propane in California, MO go beyond supplying you with fuel. We want to ensure your safety at all times. Here are some lifesaving reminders:
- Keep flammable materials, such as paper, clothing, wood, gasoline, and solvents, away from open flames coming from your appliances.
- Make sure that you know how to shut off the gas supply from the tank or cylinder. Otherwise, contact your propane supplier for instructions.
- Never place your head directly over or in close proximity to the valves on your storage tank. Safety relief valves may release pressure, and this can cause serious injury.
- Avoid coming in contact with the propane liquid if it gets exposed under any circumstances. The liquid can cause severe frostbite that may damage your skin or eyes.
- Do not store propane cylinders or containers inside a building that has no opening or ventilation.
- Be alert once you smell propane gas around your area. Do not assume that it is only caused by a near-empty tank. If the odor persists, this may indicate a serious gas leak.
- Notify your local propane supplier as soon as possible if you suspect a leak.
What to Do If You Smell Gas
If a gas leak detector goes off or if you think you smell gas—regardless of your distance from a propane source—you must follow these steps immediately:
- Extinguish all smoking materials, open flames, and any source of fire.
- Vacate the area.
- Do not use any electric switches, appliances, thermostats, or telephones.
- Close the gas shutoff valve on the propane cylinder or tank.
- Contact your propane supplier and/or your local fire department from a mobile phone or a neighbor’s telephone.
- Even if you no longer smell the gas, do not open or turn on the propane supply valve.
- Do not re-enter the building or vehicle or return to the area where the gas was present.
- Let a qualified technician and/or emergency staff member check the area for propane leak.
- Have a propane service technician repair the leak. He or she should inspect all of your gas appliances and relight appliance pilots.
- Return to the area only when the technician declares it safe.